Sunday, July 5, 2020

Repurposing to Create My Janome Continental M7 Sewing Table

I've been struggling with the machine sitting up too high and quilts getting caught on the corners so I've been on a mission to find a table for my sewing machine to sit down in.  There are some very expensive tables and some less expensive tables, but they are quite small.  Someone in a Facebook group I am a member of said that her husband converted a table by cutting out a hole in a table and I had an idea.

At first we were going to use an old dining room table by replacing the leaves with a piece of wood that had a hole cut out for the sewing machine.  That wasn't going to work because the supports would make it so the sewing machine had to sit in the middle of the table. 

I have a library table that I got from my grandmother.  My husband said it was a ratty old table.  I said it is an heirloom.  It does look like a ratty old table because back in the day it was stained really dark.  So I decided that we should convert that table into a sewing machine table.  Once we flipped over the table, we discovered my ratty old table is actually oak.

We are still going to convert it to a sewing desk.  Right now we are just going to touch up the desk, but at some point it can be refinished to bring out the pretty oak wood.

Here are some pictures of the progression of the library table into sewing table.







We actually found gum under the table so it may have been in a school.  Who knows - a piece of that gum might have been my Dads.  :-)






Have you repurposed old furniture to make something you need.  I would love to see what you have made.

Have a great day and be kind to everyone.

April
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Time to Be Merry Challenge at Creative Knockouts

It is Thursday and that means it is time for a new challenge at the  Creative Knockouts Challenge Blog .  This week's theme challenge i...